Wanna bring your priorities into focus + make this an amazing week?
I’ve got just the thing for you. It’s a short reflection practice. Only takes 2 minutes if you’re feeling fresh.
Step 1: Write down all the different roles you play in your life.
You might use The Big 3—Energy + Work + Love—as a way to brainstorm these roles.
- In Energy, I play the role of an Athlete (as it relates to cultivating my physical health + vitality).
- In Work, I play a bunch of roles. I’m a Coach (to my 1:1 clients) + Teammate (to my Optimize teammates) + Leader (in our team at Optimize) + Writer (to you, here).
- In Love, I also have a number of roles. I’m a Friend (to my friends) + Brother (to my sisters) + Son (to my parents) + Partner (to my future partner).
Now…I could probably create more roles in each area. But those are the ones that feel most important and meaningful to me.
So I turn the question back to you: What are the most important roles that you play in your life? The key here is not to overthink it. Scan through the Big 3 in your life, and note the roles that show up for you.
Take a minute to write them down in a vertical list. For me, it would look like:
(I’ll wait while you write yours!) 🙂
Step 2: Ask yourself “What would it look like for me to expand in each of these roles in the upcoming week?”
Go through the list, one by one, and consider:
- What would it look like for me to show up at my best to this role?
- Or…What’s one meaningful action I could take that would help me grow in these roles + relationships?
- Or…What’s the most important action I could take this week to move me closer to my goals in each of these areas?
The key here, again, is not to overthink it. We almost always already know one thing we could be doing to express the best version of ourselves in these different areas of life. It’s just a matter of bringing some awareness to it by noting it down.
I did this while writing this article, for my week ahead. So I can share mine as an example:
- Athlete: Honor my 7pm digital sunset every night, to get great sleep and recover effectively from my workouts.
- Coach: Bring my fullest presence to every interaction with a coaching client that I have this week.
- Teammate: Install a new daily teamwork habit—responding to notes in our shared task manager, once/day.
- Leader: Prioritize my AM1 deep work time-block for deep, focused work on the #1 most important task of my day–every day.
- Writer: Write next week’s MMM during one deep work block on Saturday AM.
- Friend: Lead in creating deeper connection with my friends by sending invites to my next virtual dinner party.
- Brother: Reach out directly to one of my sisters to connect.
- Son: Bring back my footnoting practice + call my parents to connect for a meaningful conversation.
- Partner: Bring full presence to 1k+ seconds of dating/connection time each day.
But again, it’s not about me here. This is about you, being just a little bit better in all the roles you play, and to all the people in your life who you care about.
I’ve found that when I set clear intentions like this, it brings clarity to my life. Suddenly I have focused targets to aim at during the rest of the week. I’m not wandering through my week aimlessly. I know what’s important, and I can get to work knocking those targets down, one at a time.
It doesn’t actually matter if I hit them all in a given week. We aren’t playing a game of perfection.
But I’ve learned that when we set clear, action-oriented targets for what it looks like to show up at our best…and we do that over and over again, week after week…and we stay committed to giving our Best Effort to those targets…
Life feels pretty freakin’ awesome. 😄
So…Who are you? What roles do you play in your life?
And what would it look like for you to expand—even just a bit—in each of them this week?
Clarify those targets. Notch some arrows. And let’s get to firing. 🎯
Big hugs + high-fives,